Re: Theme on "Space" - Art about Space

---------

From: L. P. Skeen (lpskeen_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Tue Jul 10 2001 - 11:09:59 PDT

This reminds me of a lesson plan we got at the conference 2 years ago from
the Crayola rep. Good for big kids as well as littles; could be done with
regular clay and then fired and painted. This lesson features Model Magic
in umpteen colors.

You need: Model magic in several colors, cut into blobs about the size of a
dime.
                Matboard squares, about 6x6" square (or round)
                Glue
                pencil

Premise: You are an astronaut on your first space mission. What do you see
out the window of your space capsule?

Practice: Kids draw whatever they think they can see from their window on
the space capsule. (This is a good way to show 'em how to "run things off
the page", as for example, if one were approaching Mars, one could not see
the whole thing out the window, so it would run off the edge.) Some objects
might be: Earth, Moon, other planets, other space ships, stars, sattelites.

Next, squish the pieces of Model Magic flat and glue them mosaic style onto
the matboard. They can squish 2 colors together to make another color just
like paint. (That's a kind of cool effect; I did it with my "mars".)

When dry, the Model Magic is hard, and looks really kewl. This could be
modified by using tiles of clay and painting after firing.

---