Re: Art & Intellectual Property

---------

From: The Austin's (whest177_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Tue Jul 10 2001 - 09:47:54 PDT

  ***Here they go:
  1) Is there a history of copying or quotation as a studio practice in the history of art? Examples?

  Absolutely. Didn't they apprenticeship under the masters by learning to copy their style exactly? And didn't artists go to the Louvre and paint reproductions of the greats.

  2) Legal concerns of intellectual properties: For teachers? Students? How can an instructor use copyrighted material on a class website or school newsletter? How do you go about getting permission? Are there ways to use the info w/out permission?

   We try not to use copyrighted materials without permission. When we do alter an artwork but leave enough of it to be recognizable (take Grant Wood's "American Gothic") then I require my student's to credit the original author - such as "In the Style of Grant Wood", etc.

  3) What concerns are there with the use of print sources in relation to copying or duplication, and classroom use? Is there a "fair use" policy at your school? What about electronic sources?

  There is not "fair use" policy at our school - it is up to the honesty of the individual teachers.

  4) (I know this is a pretty open-ended question...) What value do you place upon "Intellectual property"? economic, aesthetic, cultural, historical, personal, spiritual...?

  I believe that the thoughts and ideas belong to the original author. I require my students to make 5 appearant changes before they may consider their work to be original.

  ~Michal

---