Art & Intellectual Property

---------

From: Chris Allred (callred_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Tue Jul 10 2001 - 09:44:29 PDT

Hi folks. This is Chris Allred. I am currently working on a research project concerning ideas about the copying, quotation, or use of other artist's images. I have a few basic questions to cover and am wondering if anyone would care to contribute... Feel free to send any comments, suggestions, opinions, weblinks, or important artists relevant to the topic. You can respond to all of the topics, a single topic, or any number in between. (Please include your name, so I can give you proper citing.) You folks have been a GREAT help to my work this summer. Thank you all in advance!
***Here they go:
1) Is there a history of copying or quotation as a studio practice in the history of art? Examples?

2) Legal concerns of intellectual properties: For teachers? Students? How can an instructor use copyrighted material on a class website or school newsletter? How do you go about getting permission? Are there ways to use the info w/out permission?

3) What concerns are there with the use of print sources in relation to copying or duplication, and classroom use? Is there a "fair use" policy at your school? What about electronic sources?

4) (I know this is a pretty open-ended question...) What value do you place upon "Intellectual property"? economic, aesthetic, cultural, historical, personal, spiritual...?

PS- Huge thanks to everybody that responded to my posting about my experiences with censorship. It really helped to hear from like-minded, thoughtful voices... Thanks. :-)

---