controversial issues

---------

From: Judy Decker (jdecker_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Tue Jul 10 2001 - 09:16:55 PDT

I deal with controversial issues in a different way....I work to make
them not so controversial (particularly the one on sexual preferences)
I posted to the individual member the long version...here is the
short. I use artists who folks have admired their work and who
are/were homosexual. I make my students realize the gay folks do great
things! I have even played my brother's cello music on occasion to my
students (they know my brother was Gay--so what?). I do not show them
the work that offends (but I tell them it is out there so they won't
be shocked when the do find it on the Internet....some have and have
told me they did....Of course I say, "Did you ask your mother first
like I told you to?"...I even have that stated on my site to get
permission first).

I use Keith Haring and Leonard da Vinci (as my "heroes")... I never do
a unit on Warhol per se...I tell the kids what I admired in him and
what I didn't (I did not like Warhol's character I saw on the videos).

Maybe we can all work to help make some views less controversial...and
allow more people to make up their own minds. I don't have the right
to make up other peoples minds on anything. We as teachers can only
influence....Students will make up their own minds. I stop any
conversation about what the "Bible" says (we all know the Bible says a
lot of things...and it is not allowed in schools anyways).
Homosexuality is not going to go away no matter how many times others
say it is wrong. Passing judgment on them only make their life worse.

Judy

---