Share you summer school - teaching experiences

---------

From: Judy Decker (jdecker_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Tue Jul 10 2001 - 06:29:48 PDT

I have volunteered to help out at summer school several times --- but they
always find real teachers. I just had fun yesterday going in watching how
much fun the kids were having learning. They got a great teacher this year!
She is so good that even a former student of hers (who is working in the
office -- will be an 8th grader) said to me "They kids really don't work
very much...they just kind of have fun"...I told her "that's the BIG idea!
Learning is supposed to be FUN!"

See... I am very proud of my school...and what it can do for kids....I even
saw my principal and told him what a great summer I was having. He said he
was enjoying his, too (but I had a bigger smile....and mine was
genuine...the eyes are a give-away).

Anyways....here is a fun summer school experience from a dear list friend of
mine...Stories need to be shared ( I left her name off -- she is truly a
treasure -- she is helping me with my dream!):

"I have to preplan, plan and replan for the fact that 8 year old
boys are driving me into the ground! Actually the first week went really
well. Today was excellent! and I am counting the 24 days until my 3 week
break.

Planning for having the company of the same kids all day long is a real
switch. I don't know much about "morning activity time" "job list" and
tracking daily point sheets for behavior. Did I mention parents! Whoa!!!
The apple does not fall far from the tree - of that I am sure!

We are studying insects: Ants, Lady bugs...etc. All day long I have the
feeling things are crawling all over me. I don't like that. Today we made
an ant out of marshmallows - what was I thinking??? They attracted -
ANTS!!!!

By the grace of God by the last day of summer session I WILL HAVE A HANDLE
ON THIS!!!

I have 7 boys and I love them all. They are all different in so many ways
which gives me so many ways to appreciate them. I have a fire cracker for
an aide and she really helps a lot!"

Back to Judy again -- Share your summer teaching experiences (if you care
to). I know Vivian is up to her eyeballs with work....I hope she is almost
time for a break. This is a tough job playing to two people I am getting the
urge to work again. Have you ever tried to play for two people? There just
aren't enough hours in the day....It is much easier to work for two
people -- cause then you can move a lot faster.

TAKE NOTE: She has 7 boys AND an aide...grab a clue those out there who can
make changes in education.....This is one thing education needs! If they
don't want to pay us more...then hire help to do some of our "busy work" and
let us have more time to teach and prepare lessons. I hope Susan in Long
Island see this.

---