Re: casting materials

---------

From: Sidnie Miller (sidmill_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Mon Jul 09 2001 - 20:21:21 PDT

I have done pewter casting with 8th graders. They made a design and then
carved a negative mold in plaster of paris. We poured plaster about 1"
thick on glass (with cardboard taped on sides so it wouldn't leak out).
When the plaster was almost set we cut it into squares about 2-3". Since
it's just a gravity feed the kids need to plan a design that will feed and
carve out a funnel in the top. Then they put their negative mold against
a smooth piece of plaster and clamp tight with a c-clamp. Melt(with a
propane torch) the
pewter in a crucible or plumbers ladel and pour into the mold.
If it doesn't feed properly, recarve, remelt the pewter and pour again.
It's really fun. Make sure you buy lead free pewter. You could also use
that stuff that birds use to clean their beaks, but I think it makes a
crappy mold. You can get great detail with plaster. Sid
# Sidnie Miller #
# Elko High School #
# College Avenue #
# Elko, NV 89801 #