Moving to a HS job next year

---------

From: Beth Goodwin (bgood_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Sun Jul 08 2001 - 15:32:58 PDT

Hello All;
I have been of the list for a couple months - too busy with school and then some computer ailments. Last time I checked Kimberly was going for the job interview and now I see she has the job. Great news - Deaf Smith sure is lucky to get you!

Thanks Maggie and Kimberly for web interface to take my messages off hold.

Next year I will move to the high school osition and will, I'm sure, begin dealing with soem of the issues you all are discussing now - censorship, football players, etc. I have been working in the room these past few days, cleaning out 31 years worth of accumulated junk, and already heard from the janitors that the cheerleaders come in a nd use paint,rolls of paper, etc. I said - not from me! Especiallyafter we had to cut our budget 40% this spring and then I find out the Tech Ed teacher so kindly took care of that for the retiring art teacher by cutting his supplies and keeping Tech Ed's! Anyway, I think the principal is going to work out something for me, so I will probably be able to order some supplies. I know that over the next few months (years??) I will be calling on all of you for advice. Here's the beginning.

There are two kinds of classes on the schedule - Intro to Art and Advanced Art. From what I hear from students, admin, and other teachers, and from what I can see in the room, they did pencil drawings each week on an assigned subject(like N. American mammals), copper tooled plaques, and a sort of bas relief sculpture in styrofoam - Tarzan,alien heads, teddy bears, etc. Also lots of study hall. So I have my work cut out for me, right? I hope to make major changes in the classes offered for the following year and am working on plans for this year. I want to start are an art club and a spring art exhibit. Any advice from anyone on these would be appreciated. My other major concern at this point are the juniors and seniors who signed up for Independent Study. I want to be prepared for them since I imagine they are looking forward to doing nothing. How do you handle this in your department? Any syllabus or written guidelines that could help?

Thanks, Beth

---