student immaturity and controversy

---------

From: Bunki Kramer (bkramer_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Mon Jul 09 2001 - 18:15:19 PDT

Los Cerros Middle School
968 Blemer Road
Danville, CA 94526

>From: Patricia Knott <pknott@enter.net>
>....I am not sure many high school students have the
> maturity for dealing with a public controversy and the consequences.
*********************************

I know you are talking about student issues with controversy and show
displays but I found your statement mainly true about adults and controversy
in general...and I'm thinking mainly about MY community. My area's
population is made up of people who you would think would be "aware" of art
and controversy...mainly doctors, lawyers, some actors and professional
sport figures...you get my drift.

One of our local middle school art teachers is gay. He has never made it an
issue (in fact I never even knew). Two or 3 of his students talked about him
calling him non-appropriate names and the message got back to him. There was
quite a stir that developed when he brought this issue to our school board.
The issue grew bigger as the Gay League got involved (we're near San
Francisco) and the newspapers got the stories. Next came the League's demand
for discussing alternative living styles at the elementary level. The parent
community passionately chimed in to hotly debate that issue including many
newspaper editorials. EACH side had their own brand of ugly slurs to add to
all this mud. Lots of hot buttons were hit.

The issue has taken a back burner lately...died down somewhat...but always
seems to be bubbling under the community's surface. There's alot of
immaturity in these adults when their passions are aroused. I don't think
immaturity about public controversy stops when one graduates.
Toodles....Bunki

---