Re: Greek Theatre Masks- Question

---------

From: Susan Holland (Susan_Holland_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Mon Jul 09 2001 - 14:45:10 PDT

in my notes from "intro to theater," I wrote that the Greek masks were really
big and included a brass megaphone inside, and there was something called
onkos, which was a headdress to go over the masks. Not much, really, but you
did say "any information."

The interesting part of my notes is that about Greek theater was that the plays
were written for contests and ten judges voted on the contests, but only five
votes were drawn to be counted, so the winner was as much based on luck of the
draw as on the judge's votes. It was a contest rule that there could only be 3
actors, so if there were more characters, the actors would be double cast.
There were 15 chorus members; there was always music.

---