Re: casting materials

---------

From: Susan Holland (Susan_Holland_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Mon Jul 09 2001 - 14:40:18 PDT

There was a brief thread about casting back in March
http://www.artsednet.getty.edu/ArtsEdNet/hm/Mar01/

I recommend you find "Practical Casting" by Tim McCreight, and/or take a class
or a short course or something. The process of casting is very simple, but
tons of variables make the practice of successful casting rather complex.
 If I was going to cast with eighth graders, I would look for a casting
method that used gravity because that it so much simpler than vacuum casting or
centrifugal casting. I would try to get an electric melt unit because open
flames are way more complicated as well. And I would use a metal that has a
low melt temp because I've known electric melt units to burn themselves out if
you try to use them at their highest settings.
When I was an eighth grader myself, I had a class on lost wax casting and we
made the molds with some kind of sand that picked up amazing detail- even
fingerprints in the wax. The metal we cast was aluminum, but as students, we
only watched the actual casting, which was done for us at a junior college.
There was a huge crucible from which they poured everyone's pieces one after
another. It was a neat opportunity that is probably why I am a metal artist
today! Hope you have good luck.

artsednet@lists.getty.edu writes:
>Hello artsednetters....
>
>Is there anyone out there who knows a lot about metal casting? I want to do a
>basic metal casting unit with my eighth grade in the fall. They even rose
>money to buy equiptment, but I am not even certain what I need. I was
>considering doing sand casting. I really need to know the easiest and most
>time efficient method, since I only have them once a week. Any suggestions
>out there?
>
> Your thoughts and ideas would be greatly appreciated....Dawn in
>Tucson

---