Re: casting materials

---------

From: menichino (menichino_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Mon Jul 09 2001 - 13:21:54 PDT

Hi Dawn --
I'm afraid I don't know too much about metal casting -- however, I did learn something while I was student teaching... One of the kids wanted to pour lead (or maybe it was silver? I dunno, this was 25 years ago!) into a wet clay form. I said sure that sounds like it'd work. Well I guess it's good that my supervising teacher was hanging around since he stepped right in and advised me that if the molten metal was poured into wet clay it would explode. So! Don't do that! You guys all probably knew that already, though!
I took a jewelry class once and the instructor carved one of his molds out of the cuttle bone that you give to parakeets -- he was able to get some nice details that way.
Good luck -- your kids are gonna love it!
Liz in rural NY
menichino@infoblvd.net