Greek Theatre Masks- Question

---------

From: Anna N. (anna_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Mon Jul 09 2001 - 10:55:47 PDT

Hi Everone,

Hope you're enjoying the summer (a working one or not!).
I work with a summer program every year, it's fine art and theatre focus.
For the last week of this program we will be doing a Greek Art Olympics.
We are still planning out the details, but my mission will be to have the
kids create Greek Theatre masks. Ages 5-16.

from the research I have done (not knowing much about greek theatre to
start with here!) it seems that the mask designs were very simple, and
fairly human-like. For some reason I thought that at some stage in
history, they were more decorative, large, and God/Goddess like. I'm not
sure. Any information regarding this and/or how to make this project work
and be as exciting as possible for young and old would be great. Also,
I've never done papier mache masks with 5 year olds...think it's too
much? Perhaps oaktag style for them? Hmmm....

Thanks for anything!!!!

Anna

---