Re: show and tell

---------

From: Susan Holland (Susan_Holland_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Mon Jul 09 2001 - 07:42:59 PDT

I would specify a size maximum - maybe "must fit on top of a school desk" and
probably I would tell them not to bring anything alive, anything valuable or
breakable or precious- photos or pictures of those kind of things would be
fine, but you don't want to invite disaster. Maybe specify a theme- something
that tells who you are, some unusual tool (or inventive use of something) used
at home, oldest thing, the first toy you actually remember playing with, a
travel souvenir. . . maybe students could temporarily trade items and then
invent and present a story for the "tell" part of show and tell. You could do
this in groups "What's my line" style and have the other students try to
re-match objects with their actual owners.
Then you could draw the items, maybe you could build a still life of items, use
them as themes for prints or designs.

artsednet@lists.getty.edu writes:
>I had a discussion about this with a group of 6th graders, most of them
>thought that it would be fun to do a show and tell day(s). However, I only
>have my 6th graders for 6 weeks, so we did not get to it last year. I would
>like to add this as an introductory lesson for the next school year to help
>me learn about the kids, but I am not sure how I want to structure it... any
>ideas?

---