Aboriginal style art and Malian style music

---------

From: Maggie White (mwhiteaz_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Mon Jul 09 2001 - 07:21:44 PDT

Hi, all,

The August issue of Rodale's Scuba Diving has some work by an
artist/diver who incorporates Aboriginal-style patterning in his
paintings of marine life. This might be an interesting way for your
students to see how an artist has adapted ideas from another culture for
his own work, rather than replicating that culture's works. He has a Web
site: http://www.rogest.com/gallery.htm

Recently, I bought a CD by Taj Mahal, one of my favorite musicians, who
recorded with a group of Malian musicians. Since we've been so
interested in Melissa's sojourn in Mali, now you can hear some of the
music. Again, it's artists combining styles from different cultures to
create something new. There are extensive liner notes about the
musicians and the songs they recorded. The album is titled Kulanjan.

Maggie

---