A&E Impressionsits

---------

From: Judy Decker (jdecker_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Mon Jul 09 2001 - 05:30:11 PDT

Wow...it pays to get up early and start your day with a good flick. I just
happened to catch part one of the A&E Impressionists series....Great stuff.
(has lots of naked ladies ---so you will need to do some magic to those
tapes). Anyways.....If you want to video tape it, you must keep track
because your tape with mysteriously expire in July of the year 2003. So you
will want to keep that in mind. I guess that is a Y2K30731 syndrome? (Year
2003 July 31. ..they didn't say what time of day though. When yours expires,
you can just borrow mine. I do want to have this one --My archival property
cause I won't be using the other one at that time of year).

Here is my advice if you really want something that was on air....buy the
video tape or have your school buy it. My principal says it is OK to make
one copy for yourself as long as you archive the other copy. He has said
this time and time again (especially with software). I have sent numerous
videos back because the companies would not grant me permission to edit the
nudes out. I guess if I just make my own copy for educational purposes and
archive the other copy at home it is OK? I hate to have the kids wait while
I fast forward and who really has time to keep record of all of the counts
so a nude doesn't sneak in and you have to go "whoops! close your eyes"
(these are real models folks....and quite attractive ones, too...they don't
look anything like the nudes Monet, Manet and others painted....smile
girls).

One thing that is very important to stress with kids is how these artist
were so competitive....I found it so interesting and so today! Manet even
took a title Monet wanted to use (Monet got a leg injury and wasn't able to
finish his De'juenne (sp?) on the grass in time for the Salon show...So
Manet changed the title of his "The Bathers"..You know the painting I am
talking about...the one that caused such a scandal. How dare Manet show a
woman the way she really looked and made her so confident unclothed in the
presence of those men.
The painting that Monet did finish and get into the show was one he did
inspired by a fashion illustration...what a hoot! I sure would like to have
a copy of the fashion drawing to show my students. Artists get ideas from
all around them. Ideas are just waiting to happen. Roberta knows what I am
talking about.

Judie -- Judy -- Judi - Jude -- JDeeee - OKJ

P.S. Get the idea what part of Manet's problem was? I thought his name was
Manet? Was it Monet? Manet? Monet? Manet? Manet was the older one of the
two.

---