Re: Finally introducing

---------

From: ´|Lá (mack88_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Sun Jul 08 2001 - 20:17:22 PDT

Congrats Jennie on the job. I am a middle school art teacher on Cape Cod and was placed in an awful room last year in one of the 2 schools I was in. I begged to use a science lab and finally got it. The advantage to the labs is that there are always multiple sinks. I limited the number of sinks to use so clean up wasn"t crazy. If you have slate tables, I also recommend covering them with some colorful tablecloths and tape the the coverings down so cleanup also is only on the cloth and not the slate. Colored cloths also help in organizing.i.e.. red table ,today will be working on carving linoleum blocks, green table is just for printing. Yellow table is for drawing if your project is completed...etc.Color also transforms the science lab easily into an art room.
Onre other thing I did last year was a ceramic project that coordinated with the social studies unit. I had them study all the shapes and names of Greek pottery and(after putting together a visual packet on uses of each vessel and their basic shapes,) , the students selected one or a combination of 2 and hand built it using white clay. These were very small pieces but they learned pinch pot methods and attached handles using scratch and attach.
After bisque firing they used black underglaze paint to transfer designs that had drafted to include a scene about their life the way the Greeks may have painted them. (The packet also included the various swirls and wave shapes commonly seen in Greek black and red glaze pottery) Armed with excellant references and a rough draft of their personal visual stories they achieved great resultds with the underglaze work. Clear transparent glaze went over the top of the underglaze to produce cool looking greek stuff. I suggest you buy a lot of clear transparent because if you run out of any colors for your other projects, you can always require the inside of peices (cups) be done in clear transparent to save your budget.
Karen Mack