This i s Good News! Artist award for 2002

---------

From: Judy Decker (jdecker_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Sun Jul 08 2001 - 17:05:37 PDT

Introduced you to this artist a while back:

> Paul du Toit--of South Africa was surfing around and found my site--He
> e-mailed me his site:
> http://www.pauldutoit.com/
> Fun- original work--that is reminiscent of Paul Klee, Jean Dubuffet and
> Pablo Picasso all rolled into one. I especially like the sculptures.

Anyways I posted his site to this list and put a link on my web page (I know
it is there somewhere --just could find it quickly...If at first you don't
succeed try anotehr way ...smile)...I guess Chryslers are a "good thing"
(and so is my little Plymouth that proved he could...his name is bud...a tan
mini van) One of my art teacher friends has a PT-Cruiser (or whtever they
are called) and hers is ruby red. Check out his site again and see ways to
make art fun for your students. My kids looked at it and said "Gee, I could
do that". Now I have the rest of the story for them. (I apologize in advance
for putting all of these names out there--but this time it is a good
thing...and this list is about good things ...besides I have no clue if the
names are even spelled right.....and neither does Microsoft).

Saturday, July 07, 2001
N E W S R E L E A S E !!

PAUL DU TOIT SHORT LISTED FOR DAIMLER CHRYSLER SCULPTURE AWARD 2002

The third DaimlerChrysler art prize will be given for sculpture in 2002, it
has been announced. The prize was established "to further the careers of
innovative young contemporary artists, and raise the profile of South
African art both at home and abroad".
A panel of jurors and advisors will select the nominees (in 1998 10 nominees
were selected and invited to exhibit work at the Cape Town Castle). A jury
meeting will be held at the end of October in Pretoria to decide on a
winner. Where 1998's highest profile juror was Documenta 11 director Okwui
Enwezor, this year Harald Szeeman, director of the Venice Biennale, will
take part. Also on the panel are Marilyn Martin, director of the National
Gallery; artist David Koloane; Japanese curator Fumio Nanjo; Richard Flood
of the Walker Art Center, Minneapolis; Fanyana Shiburi of DaimlerChrysler SA
and Dr Uli Kostenbader of DaimlerChrysler Stuttgart. Octavio Zaya will also
act as an advisor, along with Bongi Dhlomo-Mautloa and Anitra Nettleton.
Video portraits of the nominees will be produced towards the end of July.

---