Re: Slides? Books? What do you Recommend?

---------

From: Maggie White (mwhiteaz_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Sun Jul 08 2001 - 15:17:05 PDT

SHARON STEERE wrote:

> Is anyone familiar with these books that come with slides, listed below.
> Do you like the selection? Are they worth the money if you do not have
> any slides in your art room?
>
> Art History & Appreciation Activities Kit by Hume, American Art Appreciation Activities Kit by Hume?

I have the art history book and another by Helen Hume for secondary art
teachers, which doesn't come with slides; sorry, can't remember the
title. They are both excellent, with practical advice and interesting
lessons. Some of the a.h. slides are from the St. Louis museum, so
you'll get some images that may be new to you (a plus, in my opinion).

> Do most teachers buy their own slides &
> videos so you can take them with you, if your career moves to another
> location later in life? I would like your input? Do you use slides and
> videos equally or do most of you prefer a certain mode over another?

I purchased with my budget years ago the 250 slide set to go with our
a.h. text (Brommer's), and have filled in the gaps out of my own
pocket. I really like the Universal Color Slide Co.'s catalog of
individual slides, so you can pinpoint exactly what you need. They have
a booth at the NAEA convention each year, and a few weeks beforehand I
e-mail them and ask that they bring specific slides. They are very
accomodating, and when I go by their booth, there is a little box with
my name on it all ready to go. During the convention they sell the
slides for $2 each, instead of $2.50, and this price usually stays for
about 30 days afterwards.

Our librarian is always asking us for titles of videos to add to our
school collection, so I usually order videos through her. She has also
purchased boxed sets of slides when I've asked for them, esp. when I
mention how they'd fit in with the math dept. (Escher) or social studies
(Native American). This could be a way for you to augment your
collection, as well.

Maggie

---