Wow....What a great dream Patty

---------

From: Judy Decker (jdecker_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Sun Jul 08 2001 - 13:55:55 PDT

Patty's Dream:

>My dream --- for my art room
>It's so free and open and lacking in standards and objectives...
>that's just what artists have always been about

History has shown what happens when other peoples standards have been
applied to art. Just think about Michelangelo's last supper and all those
"britches" that were added later....many since removed.

You can all have this dream (in your own minds)...just play by the rules and
you won't get caught (smile). I did this last year and it worked great! I
got good art from the kids (some even excellent! Their work received the
highest honors in our art shows).....I got work they were proud of....gave
no test that counted for anything--just gave the tests and graded them to
see what I NEEDED to do (I learned this in my grad courses that all tests
don't need to be counted...good advice..I also learned that all work didn't
need a letter grade ---good advice).

I always looked at their work graded it.....and told all of the kids of
those that were turned it in (that is the important part DOING IT and
turning it in--no work was less that a "C". The "A" students knew they had
A's..the "B" students knew they had B's and the "C" students were those who
tried (but really didn't have a clue -- those are the ones I needed to work
a little harder with). I know in my own school that as long as I do the
work - do my best - and turn it in I will always at least get a "C" and that
is good enough for me (I like being average now).

If I ever saw a kid doing it his/her way and it wasn't in the "rules" (my
objectives) I let them do it (after taking with the student)...when it was
something I liked I told them they sure had a better idea than I did on how
it should be done. If I didn't like it, I asked them what grade they
deserved based on my objectives --I always found out which ones were
"pulling my leg".
Try it.you will find out too (and they all will eventually thank you for
it).
My rule that stands no matter what that in my room no one has the right to
offend. They can do art that offends later in their life. We do allow art
that teachers others though the things that are wrong with our world (and if
it offends? Whose problem is that?)

Share your dreams....many of us have the same dream! I just talked to my
dad's cousin and told her I was helping my grandfather with his dream.

Judy

---