Bulletin boards - my thoughts

---------

From: Judy Decker (jdecker_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Sun Jul 08 2001 - 11:35:52 PDT

Sorry folks...I just read Maggie's post today. I am lucky in my building
because I do not have to do bulletin boards. I did take almost everything
down this summer so I have to put other "stuff" up in my room (stuff I did
have up is stuff I know I needed so I bought it myself - they left that
stuff up too last summer). What I like to do at the start of the year is put
up bulletin boards that get folks to think about the world....our
purposes....kind of theme based. I have frequently use the Take 5 art prints
to show how artists communicate similar themes in different ways (I think
Pam and Nancy put those together? I use Pam and Nancy as examples of folks
who advocate art in a different way...There as so many careers in art...Mine
has always been one more on advocacy....I create art for "love" ...I can
explain if any one wants to know...but if you walk into my home you will get
the idea. I buy what I like and it matches my sofa too....talk to any artist
who sells are and I know you have "been there").

When I put up a bulletin board in the halls or a showcase I try to put the
message so all will know exactly what I mean to say. The kids usually know
the message because we talk and talk about in class. I want the adults to
take time to get the message and some really do stop and take time to read.
I found that out last school year.

Technology is more important in my building...so I always use technology in
some way to get my messages across....I always try to put the work (at least
some of it) up on my web page. They know they don't dare take that access
away because that would only make them look bad. One of our district goals
is to integrated technology.....another is communication internal and
external (you all know I do that one)....and another is to enhance the core
curriculum (and you all know I am doing the very best I can at that one
too). I wouldn't even be embarrasses to post my targets and my progress to
this list....I only gave myself 4 out of 5 so i do have room for
improvement.

Make everything you do count for something...make those bulletin boards
teach the children AND the adults.....the virus is spreading everyday around
here. My brothers even caught the virus and are spreading it too. I have all
of you doing it too.

Judy

P.S. My "dream" summer of 1997 was to help other people sell their art and I
have done that already....I made one of my best friend's artwork worth a
MINT (true story....e-mail off list if you want the "rest of the story"). I
told her to keep painting lots of
cows....pigs.....cats....barns...nature....everything she really likes and
she will keep on selling her art. If Michigan and Ohio people get together
at Ann Arbor art fair....bring lots of money. I am planning to put dibs on a
cow. So one will be shown "sold"....and it will be the cow that all of you
will want too (so I will make sure she has extras for others who really do
want it). I forgot her booth number already....silly me...so I will ahve to
have her e-mail it to me.

---