Find Lesson Plans on! GettyGames

Re: PBS - Media Literacy

From: S Krause (frostyoranges_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Sat Jul 07 2001 - 10:09:35 PDT

Those who are interested in this topic should also check out the wonderful
Frontline special that aired earlier this year, available on video through THE MERCHANTS OF COOL. It's all about marketing to teens/popular
culture (and some talk about body image) - what a powerful force teenagers
are to corporations, and the lengths they'll go to for market share. You
can read about it here:

PBS may re-air it, I don't know (if they do, watch & tape it), but I bought
the video for about $30 through PBS and it was WELL worth the price. It's
60 minutes long. Watched it with my HS design class and it sparked VERY
VERY interesting discussion about honesty & integrity in advertising, if
there could be such a thing, how they felt about media messages, news
propaganda, etc. I highly recommend it. (though beware, there are a few
graphic sexual moments - which thankfully came at the end of class #1 so we
started right after them the next day, no one but me was the wiser.)

Also check out - my students were fascinated/amused by
their "uncommercials" & spoof advertising (for example: a spoof on an
Absolut ad - the signature vodka bottle was created by photographing an
aerial view of hard-backed chairs lined up in the shape of the bottle.
Empty chairs. The slogan underneath: "Absolute AA." Most kids thought it
was a real Absolut ad, and when they looked again & realized they were
delighted at the cleverness. Made them stop & think).

Happy summer...