Re: PBS - Media Literacy

---------

From: S Krause (frostyoranges_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Sat Jul 07 2001 - 10:09:35 PDT

Those who are interested in this topic should also check out the wonderful
Frontline special that aired earlier this year, available on video through
PBS.org: THE MERCHANTS OF COOL. It's all about marketing to teens/popular
culture (and some talk about body image) - what a powerful force teenagers
are to corporations, and the lengths they'll go to for market share. You
can read about it here:

http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/pages/frontline/shows/cool/

PBS may re-air it, I don't know (if they do, watch & tape it), but I bought
the video for about $30 through PBS and it was WELL worth the price. It's
60 minutes long. Watched it with my HS design class and it sparked VERY
VERY interesting discussion about honesty & integrity in advertising, if
there could be such a thing, how they felt about media messages, news
propaganda, etc. I highly recommend it. (though beware, there are a few
graphic sexual moments - which thankfully came at the end of class #1 so we
started right after them the next day, no one but me was the wiser.)

Also check out www.adbusters.org - my students were fascinated/amused by
their "uncommercials" & spoof advertising (for example: a spoof on an
Absolut ad - the signature vodka bottle was created by photographing an
aerial view of hard-backed chairs lined up in the shape of the bottle.
Empty chairs. The slogan underneath: "Absolute AA." Most kids thought it
was a real Absolut ad, and when they looked again & realized they were
delighted at the cleverness. Made them stop & think).

Happy summer...

Stephanie

> Airing week of August 25
> MEDIA LITERACY: TV-WHAT YOU DON'T SEE
> In the age of information and 500 channels, teens are spending more time
> in
> front of the television than studying. They're bombarded with media
> images
> that they don't know how to deconstruct.

---