Finally introducing

---------

From: jennie schaeffer (jtschaef_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Fri Jul 06 2001 - 05:18:03 PDT

Hello everyone, I've been reading your advice and thoughts since I student taught last fall.  Now I am employed and will be teaching art in a middle school in New Jersey this September.  Of course, with new employment comes all the questions you wouldn't have thought about asking as a student teacher.

I'm sure I'll have tons of questions during the upcoming year and hope that I can share them.  My environment is rather interesting and has been causing me to delve into planning my curriculum now.  I will be teaching in empty science labs rather than an art room--it will be a challenge as well as a unique learning experience.  Because of that I probably will be moving from room to room with maybe some small space to store things in each room--not sure yet.  Any advice?

Also I'm going to be teaching a ceramics class--I've only taken one class in college and a class in high school--very in depth however.  Can anyone give me advice on clay recycling--I've forgotten how they did it at school and if it would even make sense to do in a middle school, considering my situation.  Also--I'm completely unsure of how much clay to purchase!  Any recommendations on good glaze colors?  I know that it's easy to buy a lot of colors, then fire them and some turn out horrendous.

As some of you answer my questions in the future I hope that I can be of help to some of yours--this has been a wonderful forum that I am glad to now be able to use, rather than just observe.

Thanks,

Jennie in New Jersey