PBS - Media Literacy

---------

From: BJ Berquist (berquist_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Fri Jul 06 2001 - 05:16:05 PDT

Check local PBS Listings for exact time, channel and date:

Airing week of August 25
MEDIA LITERACY: TV-WHAT YOU DON'T SEE
In the age of information and 500 channels, teens are spending more time
in
front of the television than studying. They're bombarded with media
images
that they don't know how to deconstruct. In this special, we reveal the
tricks and techniques used by the media to manipulate young audiences.
Teens
will hear from news media experts, including ABCs Peter Jennings, about
why
young people are so often stereotyped in the media. Viewers get a
behind-the-scene look at how news stories are chosen and covered and how
commercials and music videos ideas develop. We also meet a group of
teens
trying to educate their peers about reading between the lines when it
comes
to news coverage. From the news to music videos to commercials, In The
Mix
teaches the skills to analyze and evalute TV in order to become savvy
media
viewers.

Forwarded by,
BJ Berquist