Re: Dress Code

---------

From: Janice Keenan (jekteachme_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Thu Jul 05 2001 - 18:52:13 PDT

  For me personally I choose to wear the 'uniform'
because simply stated it is easier and cheaper. It is
just one area that is not important to me - what I
wear to school.
  In essence, I really do not believe that uniforms or
a 'dress code' for that matter stifles creativity.
Creativity has a way of bursting through any barrier!
For anyone to actually believe that uniforms or any
form of externally enforced "sameness" solves all our
problems is being a bit simple minded..
  I understand pros and cons to uniform policy in our
schools. I agree with the freedom of expression of
picking one's own clothes. Yet,I do understand that
having a uniform policy could be the equalizer for
those that are subject to ridicule and it could
possibly give parents some support and backbone in
setting the rules about what is ok and not ok for
school. But the debate seems to lie in what is
appropriate for school. It is a debate that rages on
in all areas of our county.
  In my elementary school uniforms were optional for
three years - gradually students started wearing them
more and more. This past year it went mandatory. We
have 'dress down' days and students pretty much wear
what they want (although, there is still a dress
code). It is interesting to note that on those days
kids generally wanted to be the same (at least at
elementary). Majority wore GAP, Old Navy or whatever
'cool' clothes are in style.
  When I asked my daughter how she felt (she is
19)about this issue (for she is of a rebellious
spirit..the gothic faze (all black), the
purple,blue,1/2 shaved,whatever hair, the ragged
salvation army look,etc... and had to wear uniforms
for her entire school years) her response was, she
didn't mind it in elementary, hated it in middle and
dealt with it in high school...she definitly pushed
buttons throughout middle and high school. She said
she dealt with it because school was only so many
hours a day and she wore whatever she creatively felt
the rest of the time and that she tried to be as
creative as she could get by with at school within the
confines of the uniform.
  Jan in Miami