Be "true to your school" -- be true to your students

---------

From: Judy Decker (jdecker_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Thu Jul 05 2001 - 10:16:40 PDT

Guess what? I got the opportunity to thank that student I told you
about...and I was even wearing my comfy summer robe. Who cares? I was out
side talking to my husband and who should drive up? It was N.W. and he is
now going to the school I graduated from.

I shook his hand and told him he really did get an A in art and he knew
exactly what I meant. He just got a new job too -- and was really proud of
himself.

My husband and I am going to use part of my summer to help him succeed in
his new school (if "N" has the time...smile). The motto from my graduating
class was:

"Never look back it's been said -- Look forward for it is beginning"

I know--because I wrote it in big huge calligraphy letters for graduation.
Although I have had to modify it for my own life. We have to look back and
learn from the past.

"Learn from the past --take the good. Look forward for it is beginning"

A few years ago....I was made guilty to be an "Indian" (long story... I
wrote a letter but never sent it). I am very proud to be an Indian again and
will tell you more lessons I learned that really taught me the most about
education. I even used the name of my high school as a way to get a business
man correct a problem I had with my vehicle. I told him I went to his
business because we went to the same school..and he knew my sister.

I have a ring around my finger now that shows my pride in my high school. My
ring was stolen soon after I got it in 10th grade. Now I wear my gold of the
Black Hills -- onyx stone for my high school --balanced by two leaves for my
love for nature.

Judy Decker

---