Integration

---------

From: Jude & Frank (JGROCHOWSKI_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Thu Jul 05 2001 - 10:14:15 PDT

 Hi all,
    I lifted these from the interview responses...they are thought-provoking
to read!...

>" 5. Do you coordinate your Art lessons to relate to what the students are
> studying in their classroom?
> Sometimes, when asked. I tried to do some integrating one year, but found
> that everyone, even within the same grade level was doing something
> different. It was too confusing."

I wanted to share that a Milwaukee Art Teacher, Mary Beth Gaborsky, came to
the conclusion that rather than chasing her colleagues themes, she would
decide her own and share those with the same colleagues. Then they have an
opportunity to dovetail with her work....She has been doing so for years and
inspiring others in her district to do so too. I think this underscores
nicely Woody's point...

"5. Do you coordinate your Art lessons to relate to what the students are
studying in their
classroom?
The other subjects are in the curriculum to support the arts. I really
tell them that,
I'm not sure they really believe me."

Thanks!
Judy