What is good for education

---------

From: Judy Decker (jdecker_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Wed Jul 04 2001 - 04:13:03 PDT

Here is another one to read or skim over....I just have to write it.
Besides, it is the "problem with education" that made me quit writing long
ago....so you better not blame me.....blame my English teacher who made me
never want to write my true feelings again....I was told that when writing
my true feelings I was too depressing....I wrote a short story about how I
felt...from the heart...and I got an F on it. She said it was too depressing
and a little girl shouldn't feel that way....Ironically, she is the one who
also gave me a half hour detention just for chewing gum in her class. I
tried not to let her see it...but she caught me anyway. Shortly after that
I got a head ache every time I chewed gum....Well I don't anymore. I chew my
gum all the time whenever I want to and you better do everything you can to
help those kids of your chew gum too.

Funny thing is...that same teacher hired me later to do work for her when I
was out of a job (painting/decorating her home)....She only remembered me as
the little girl who wore head band that matched her dress....I made my own
clothes then). She even found me more work...and that is what taught me if
you don't do the job right the first time...you will have to do it over
again for free (the colors of the flowers didn't match the toilet.....well
how did I know the toilet didn't match the wall paper?!) After I spent much
of my Christmas one year painting a doll house for another decorator....and
naturally not getting paid for my time I vowed I would never do artwork to
try to please anyone else again...I will just do art work to please
myself....and I do the art work I do does please me....and it pleases my
family...it please my children at school. I don't need to do art to
sell....and I do "practice what I preach" (I think I covered all of the
bases there).

Our building is a NO GUM school....So you better find a fun way to have them
get rid of the gum in your class so you don't break the rules.

See Jeannie jensando@yahoo.com for some of her ideas. She sparked another
good idea for me to help kids who are bullied.
Boy did they ever get me on a roll.

Judy Decker

---