Don't miss an opportunity to thank someone

---------

From: Judy Decker (jdecker_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Wed Jul 04 2001 - 03:52:45 PDT

My goal this week is to thank a student who was expelled from my school and
when to my son's school. I saw what was good in that child and helped him
succeed in my class. I even put his sculpture in the art show. He told me
the last time I saw him that he still has it.

When my husband had him in class...I saw the writing this boy had done and
it did make me smile and cry at the same time...no one really took the time
to teach him how to read or write....no one bothered to ask him why he
couldn't learn the curriculum....he was just passed on and on...
I just gave third grade teachers a raise and reduced their class size so
they can teach the most important things in life.

When my husband asked what he thought of Mrs. Decker...he said he liked
art--that was about the only thing he did like. He told my husband he got an
A in art....of course at the time it made me laugh....NOW I need to tell him
he told the truth. He did get and a in my class...he got an A because he did
strive for excellence in my class....When he couldn't get it --he came in
during academic assist...and when he still couldn't get it....he came in
after school....He gave more of his time.

I need to find out if that child will let me use his name in our Lima
News....I want to thank that student for helping me to see what is really
import in education. He told my husband he might be going to Shawnee next
year....I want to call them and tell them what N.W. (lives in my
neighborhood) has done for me and tell them what they need to do for him. He
will be a senior next year. In the mean time....I want to tutor him this
summer when he returns from vacation.

How many of you would be proud to be next door neighbors to the worst
nightmare of other teachers? I love seeing this child every day.

I want to go around and hug all the kids who have gone to Lima Senior that I
have had in my classes....those kids have said kind things about me and I
want to thank them. Kids do make a difference in our lives..and we can make
a difference in theirs!

Wonderful Wednesday! When you have something to say...just write it
down...That is what my ancestors did. I am only doing what is my
culture...and you can not take that away from me either.

Judy

---