More discipline help

---------

From: Judy Decker (jdecker_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Wed Jul 04 2001 - 03:38:24 PDT

I really have the most fun disciplining my African American children.
My white kids tell me "hey that's discrimination"...I say, yes but in a good
way....Even my African American kids say it..we have so much fun.

Anyway....when you can not reach of child who thinks your way isn't
right...they tell them to follow the rules of their ancestors because they
had the right idea about what was good in life. Take the knowledge they gave
you and be thankful (whoops...Maybe I should save this for Thankful
Thursday?..oh...what the heck)...

I had a girl tell me to stop being her mother...so I said I wasn't her
mother, I was her ancestors....I printed off my African Proverbs and
highlighted the ones that suited the situation....and she even shared them
with her friends...and so on.

One morning the African American students were talking to me before school
started we were having a good time....the principal yelled at the "Get to
Class"....Oh I said it is OK it was my fault --their teachers won't count
them late. (they did still have plenty of time). Oh course you know what I
did all the way to my room (no one could ever understand why I was
laughing....got to keep them guessing).

The best compliment an Administrator ever gave to me was "You son will do
well even if he gets a bad teacher"....and he has!!! He has been able to do
great things even though I have not been able to stand up for what I
believe- for what is right...He made me take a stand....I know I will do
great things with kids even if I get a bad administrator....I will just have
to keep a list and check it twice to find out what is naughty or nice...and
then fix the naughty myself.

Judy Decker

---