For those who asked - J Decker story

---------

From: Judy Decker (jdecker_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Tue Jul 03 2001 - 18:59:52 PDT

I will not post anymore about this---but I have had several ask what upset
me so much. - I got through the year putting this a side --but couldn't any
longer.
My administrators threw out so much of my student's artwork and my personal
belongings when they closed me out of my room. I was not permitted on school
premises until October. When I asked them to contact students I had promised
to work with over the summer--they threw out the student work and I was
"punished" for wanting to work with them.

When I was returning, the OEA rep was told that they threw out some papers
and they were afraid it would "depress me" (he was so worried). I was able
to forgive but not forget. The look in my son's eyes when I told him all I
could do was forgive them was just so strange---he gave me my father's eyes
and say "Why? Why can't you do anything?" ...so I prayed and got the answers
day by day. I expect these men to at least have to apologize. I have had to
apologize when I do good things. I will not post more off list about this
(on list is more safe for me).

This is what they threw out - These are of great value to my school:

Character Development (My entire heroes unit -- envelopes images)
Art Technology (an entire trimester's worth of Art tech posters and disks)
Family Values (my personal art work about my family)
Professional Development (my paper from Bluffton College for paper making)
Beauty of our Culture (collage work of fashion model - samples)
Sports - football and basket ball (sports collage - my samples)
Math Integration (Tessellation video)
Care and respect for students (lots of student art work -- it was hard to
explain to kids)
Respect for different religions (student spirit mask --and relief prints)
Recycling (lots of cardboard and Styrofoam)
Ceramics (my cloth for ceramics)
Respect for personal property (there was much more -- but this is enough)

These were all just called stuff --of no value to the school. These are the
words he wrote to me (name and school omitted -- I love my school and will
protect them):