Stressless

---------

From: Patricia Knott (pknott_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Tue Jul 03 2001 - 11:26:10 PDT

Since we have been talking about ways to combat stress thought you might
find this interesting:

http://www.instituteforplay.com/

This is a site on the importance of play in life, work and education.

I never get insulted (almost never) when art is referred to as "playtime."
I know "play" it is sound educational philosophy that leads to discovery and
creativity. I often pull out my junk box and have playtime with my high
school kids. Judging by the fun they have and the sometimes amazing results
from my play activities, I'd say they are not getting to play enough.
If I do anything for school this summer it will be coming up with some more
creative thinking, "get-out-of-the-box" type activities make the familiar
strange

I'm playing a lot this summer
Patty

P.S. I had a large bag of small blocks of wood that sold at the hardware
store as kindling for $1.99. I gave it to 2 boys who never want to make
anything but "comics" and said do something with it. They played for 2 days
and finally built a city and recreated their version of Godzilla which they
recorded through a combination of still digital images and found images. It
was a wonderful little animation. They also learned a lot about construction
- high school boys - couldn't figure out how to hold the pieces of wood
together, but they did!

---