Re: Learning Styles & Teaching Styles

---------

From: Maggie White (mwhiteaz_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Tue Jul 03 2001 - 06:36:25 PDT

SHARON STEERE wrote:

> Art Teachers:
> Do you believe in teaching to certain learning styles? Does this
> help the student?

Sharon,

I started teaching on the reservation 17 years ago as an elementary
reading teacher. I, too, didn't "believe in" learning styles, but the
kids showed me that there really is a difference. I also taught LOGO
computer programming to the sixth graders, and based on further study
and conversations with experienced colleagues, changed my teaching
style--and saw an immediate improvement. I believe Indian students tend
towards being much more visual/kinesthetic learners, which actually
suits my teaching style more. This is the traditional learning mode for
generations of native cultures.

However, now as a HS art teacher, I try to help the students learn to
learn from other styles, too; after all, many will, we hope, be going
off to college or trade school where the learning is more lecture-style.

Maggie

---