RE: Learning Styles & Teaching Styles

---------

From: Kimberly Herbert (kimberly_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Tue Jul 03 2001 - 06:28:23 PDT

        I believe that people do come "hard wired" in different ways.
The most obvious indication of this is right handed and left handed
people and that forcing someone to use his/her non-dominate (Sp) hand
can cause learning disabilities. I also believe that pathways can be
strengthened by exposing children to different learning opportunities.
Again an example of this is that young children with brain injuries are
able to recover faster and further than adults with the same injuries.

        I am currently reading "Multiple Intelligences: The Theory in
Practice a Reader" by Howard Gardener. His arguments make sense to me
from my experiences. He argues that there are at least 7 intelligences
hardwired (my word) into our brains (musical, bodily-kinesthetic,
logical-mathematical, linguistic, spatial, interpersonal,
intrapersonal). He uses examples of how child prodigies, GT students, or
people with sever disabilities might excel in one area and be "normal"
or "below number" as evidence that these intelligences can operate
independently of each other.

        Several people on this list have been successful in encouraging
teachers to use art across the curriculum and seen rising test scores in
high stake tests as a result. Art would use bodily-kinesthetic, spatial,
interpersonal, intrapersonal intelligences. Some projects (like using a
grid to expand a drawing for a mural) would use logical-mathematical).
Learning about art history would use linguistic intelligence. And many
use music in their classroom. It isn't a surprise that they saw higher
scores on even these largely flawed high stake tests, when the kids'
needs were being met.

Kimberly Herbert (kimberly@wcc.net)
5th Grade Gifted and Talented Teacher
Deaf Smith Elementary