Re: Positive and Negative Space--Reflections of a First year Teacher 2

---------

From: Susan Bennett (sbennett_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Tue Jul 03 2001 - 06:30:45 PDT

I have had similar expriences with all types of observational drawing. I
had 4 different guests come in this year for my 4th graders , one per
section of 4th graders to have their portraits drawn by these children. The
one was the schoolboard president and he and my principal were so totally
amazed by how focused and quiet the children were. I have found this with
all grades and all subjects . I will set up still life with a simple drapede
cloth and a guitar for my 3rd graders. I lead them into a quiet look at the
contour and then an examination for light and dark patterns. I will
demonstrate a few ways to hold the pencil to achieve different lights and
darks and then turn them loose. They all even gather very close to the
subject with their drawing boards. A few minutes of confusion is followed
with near silence as they draw. It is a wonderful experience. I do trees
outside, plant life etc. Susan in Ohio