geographic location & sculpture ideas

---------

From: Jeryl W. Hollingworth (holl5_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Mon Jul 02 2001 - 20:24:59 PDT

Jeryl Hollingsworth
LaFrance Elementary, La France S.C.
k-5th grade
we are a relatively small school so I only work 3 1/2 days. I have every
Friday off and Thursday mornings. a great schedule!!
   for the person who wanted sculpture ideas for elementary level and
was on a tight budget..there is a kind of packing foam now that melts
(it smells like cheerios)It comes in some boxes instead of the foam
peanut things. Anyway, if you put a box full at each table and a small
container of water the kids can make amazing things. When you dip two
ends in water and then hold the ends together it "melts" and fuses. I
give the kids a small tagboard base and they build on that. The only
problem is if they get it too wet it completely disolves or gets to be a
gloppy mess. If that happens we just toss the whole thing away and start
over because I usually can save a big box full in a short time. I have
trained the janitors to sniff the packing material and save me the good
stuff!! Also if you can locate a source- telephone wire can be opened up
and there will be up to 50 great colored wires inside that can be used
to make really neat wire sculptures. It bends easily and can even be cut
with scissors. I got wire when we put a new wing on our school from the
workers. This year my second grades made fantastic circuses after we
studied Calder and had already done mobiles. They used the wire to make
people and animals and I hot glued it all down to a big circus ring (an
oval cut from heavy cardboard)

---