Re: Learning Styles & Teaching Styles

---------

From: The Austin's (whest177_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Mon Jul 02 2001 - 17:23:37 PDT

Just from a personal aspect - if you tell me the directions to someplace I
will get to the corner and have NO idea what to do next. If you tell me as
you are drawing a map I will be able to get there ok. From then on, I will
always be able to get there. I believe that teaching is much the same, and
that the reason that I, as an ART teacher, cannot easily identify the
majority of LD students is that as I teach I stand at the front of the room
and tell them how to do something, show them how, then they do it. I am on
summer break, so of course the guy who "discovered" the 7 natural
intellegences - his name will just not come to mind. But if you believe his
theory then it completely disputes this Sigmund Tobias (whom I have never
heard of). Just my .02!
~Michal

> Art Teachers:
> Do you believe in teaching to certain learning styles? Does this
> help the student?
> I'm in an education psychology class where the teacher does not believe
> in learning styles. He claims research has proven there is an absence
> of support for such assertions. He references a Sigmund Tobias. I
> would like to hear your ideas on this.
> Sharon Steere in the Midwest
> Where the corn is taller than knee high this 4th of July!
> And the J. Doe's are standing tall throughout Omaha!

---