Re: Stressless in Wisconsin?

---------

From: Artsmentor (lseiler_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Mon Jul 02 2001 - 06:48:09 PDT

> I' d love to hear more thoughts on how to keep stress levels down
> for the next school year. MaryB

Yesterday...my wife and I delivered about $10,000 worth of my paintings to a
gallery there for sale. Its been a good year, and I've sold 12 landscape
paintings in the past month. My goal is to eventually sell and duplicate
during three months of summer what amounts to my teacher's salary for the
year. That will be more security in my mind, against what ever surprises
may come ahead.

At any rate....what a wonderful day it was. After the gallery business, we
stopped at a German Brat and Beer Garden, and I enjoyed the best brat I
believe I've ever tasted in my life. We sat around and just enjoyed the
environment this part of Wisconsin delivers. Minocqua, Wisconsin.

The sun was out, yet cool enough to keep bugs away. On the way home, just a
few miles out of town the sunlight played such a dynamic "dance" on a lake
we just had to pull over, and I dragged my El Greco French easel out and set
up. Painting on location is called "plein air" finishing it in one session
is called, "alla prima"...and its the closest thing to a sport in art that I
know of. The elusivity of the sun at its lower points in the sky, with
subsequent cloud covering threatening to hide the very notion of what caught
your eye to begin with. That spirit I call the "ah-HAH!" which says,
"YES!!!!! that's what I was after!" Or, "you NAILED IT!"

Its an honest spontaneous gut wrenching intuitive act, learning to trust
your painterly instincts and reminds me of those competitive tennis matches
where you are a set behind and losing the last set....but something reminds
you that you can turn it around. A win in those situations was always most
rewarding because to beat your opponent you had to first beat yourself, your
own doubts. When finished...you stand there realizing how good life is.
What a joy. You experience art as a vehicle for engaging "life" directly,
and as celebration.

That is how I now relieve stress. It also has turned into a lucrative
activity for myself as well.

I sent Mary a jpeg collage of my day yesterday painting, my wife sitting all
hunkered into her portable easy chair, the scene, and me at my easel. If
any cares to see it...I'll send you an attached image upon asking private
email.

My other outlet is writing and performing coffeehouse style folk and blues.

-Larry
http://www.artsmentor.org

---