Re: Egyptian paper?

---------

From: artappeal (artappeal_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Mon Jul 02 2001 - 06:28:53 PDT

----- Original Message -----
From: "brenda robson" <robsonbrenda@hotmail.com>

> Anyone have any ideas how to simulate egyptian paper for a stamping
> lesson?
> Brenda

Dear Brenda,

I have simulated papyrus by first staining my white paper with yellow ochre
(could use tempera or acrylic) or start with manila paper (which you
wouldn't have to stain). Then, using a stiff bristled brush, and watered
down burnt umber, or umber/sienna mix, brush darker streaks of brown on the
paper (my paper was slightly damp, so that the streaks blended a bit, I
added water and blended, if the streaks were too strong). It helped me to
buy one real piece of papyrus to show the students and to follow the pattern
of the fibers.

leah

---