No Photography Studio

---------

From: Robert Teslow (rteslow_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Sun Jul 01 2001 - 06:31:26 PDT

I was just been told by the, Director("owner"), of our 450 9-12 upper
school that the renovated Photography studio and classroom will not be
ready until after Thankgiving, 2001. This includes a four station digital
studio that is dedicated to photography/digital photography.

The world did not end with this discloser, stuff always happens during
construction, yet the question was firmly put on my shoulders about what
32 registered Intro to Photography students are going to experience for
the greater part of a semester course?

An option was proposed to temporary convert an existing bookstore/storage
room for a RC print processing darkroom with enlargers. Water is close,
space could be ventilated with some effort- and owner seems optimistic and
wants to work with me.

If I were to suggest to not go with this temporay option, but instead to
use traditional 35mmSLR technology with off-site film processing , go CD
or do our own digital film scanning (no scanner at the present) and work
with Adobe Photoshop software, would I be sending wrong signals about need
for a traditional photography studio? Or, would I be indicating a flexible
and adventerous attitude that would challenge my creativity, push my
digital capabilities, and explore alternatives for engaging students and
myself?

We have a classroom 16 CPU- G3 lab, one flatbed scanner, 4 networked
Adobe Photoshop 6.0 that a could used 1-2Xper wk. Students also have
access to a walkin in lab with another scanner.

Please give me some feedback. There are more interesting trade-offs and
bargaining strategies also envolved but, too numerous to mention at this
point.

---