sr HS painting project

---------

From: Marian Colman (Colmans1_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Sun Jul 01 2001 - 05:20:12 PDT

We did a unit in portraiture. First students created a pencil self portrait
using value and shading to model form. Then, they were asked to choose a
favorite master artist to research. They did 3 pages in their sketchbooks
on this artist including interesting facts about his/her life, reproductions
of their work, and a description of the artist's style. They then had to
create a self portrait "in the style of a master artist". I got this idea
from Ken Vieth's book, From the Ordinary to the Extraordinary. It was very
successful. Students used acrylic to paint their self portraits and some of
the artists they chose included MC Escher, Roy Lichenstein, Dali, Magritte,
Van Gogh and Suerat. I had lots of books and Scholastic Art magazines for
them to be inspired by. The students seemed to really enjoy this process.
This was a beginning Drawing/Painting class.
Marian

---