Re: Computers and Art

From: Daceballos
Date: Mon Jul 31 2000 - 13:15:29 PDT

    EJB: What you said about computers today parallels what people used to say
    about photography. All you need is a camera and suddenly anyone can be an
    "artist". All someone had to do was avail themselves of the new technology
    and they could become an artist. We all know that's ridiculous. It takes a
    great investment of time and energy to be reasonably good with Photoshop,
    Illustrator, QuarkXpress, etc. Some of the local college professors whom I
    have spoken with about Computer Art say that they get students with technical
    applications knowhow, but very little artistic background. I'm seeing that
    traditional art skills are still very much in demand, even as Computer Art is
    developing into the huge field that it is today.

    ---