Re: Burlap

From: DHJones3
Date: Mon Jul 31 2000 - 03:18:27 PDT

    In a message dated 07/30/2000 10:49:23 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
    lpskeen@living-tree.net writes:

    <<

     We used burlap in my clay modeling class to make waste molds.

     1. Create a relief sculpture w/ clay on a flat board - we did self
     portraits.
     2. Cut burlap into strips
     3. Make plaster according to package instructions.
     4. Pour plaster over clay model, being sure to get it into all the nooks
     and crannies, such as nostrils, ear holes, if doing self portraits.
     5. Press Burlap strips into plaster, leaving ends poking out.
     6. Cover burlap w/ thin layer of plaster.
     7. After plaster has hardened, flip the whole thing over and pick out the
     clay. Now you have a plaster negative.
     8. Coat inside of negative VERY WELL with Murphy's oil soap or other mold
     release - ventilation will be key in this step.
     9. Pour hydrocal into negative.
     10. Use pieces of burlap near the top to help secure a hanging wire IN the
     back of the positive (did that make sense?)
     11. When hydrocal has set up, gently as posible pry loose negative from
     positive.
     12. Trash the negative. Hang or otherwise display the poz.

     L. P. Skeen www.living-tree.net
     Living Tree Pottery & Handmade Soaps
     Summerfield, NC

    ---