Re: The Middle Ages--art project ideas?

From: PHimmelber
Date: Sun Jul 30 2000 - 11:30:03 PDT

    My sixth grade classes were divided into groups that either built a section
    of a castle wall or seige engines. They did the research... much of it based
    on MacCauley's book Castle. When the mechanics of the trebuchet/catapult got
    a bit unwieldy for my students, I asked the hs physics teacher if he couldn't
    send down some advisors. Both groups benefited from this type of exchange...
    and the culminating experience was an assault by siege engines on the castle
    walls, built up of unfired clay blocks, made up in forms that the students
    built. This was initiated as an interdisciplinary project... social
    studies/fine arts. Some of the girls dressed up in appropriate costume... all
    in all a very popular project.

    ---