The Middle Ages--art project ideas?

From: artrageous
Date: Sun Jul 30 2000 - 08:28:27 PDT

    Hi--

    I've looked through the archives for ideas for projects focusing on a Middle Ages theme for my young kids (5th & 6th graders). We're going to a trimester system this year that I think will have 12 weeks--dunno--and I'd like to start the year with this.

    Some of the things I have in mind include designing clan crests (I have the books "Design Your Own Coat of Arms" and "Heraldic Designs for Artists and Craftspeople"), making small castles out of Sculpey, and possibly making relatively small gargoyles out of papier-mache.

    I want to include something with dragons (possibly batik....), I'll have them illustrate some stories and legends (this worked well when I did Egyptian art...), and perhaps have them research and then draw a figure in period clothing (may do this in watercolor and ink as a way of incorporating figure rendering--we'll do some gesture drawing as background).

    I've thought about illumination, but some of the kids I'll have in my classes (based on last year) have very poor fine motor control.... We'll also study some of the artists of the middle ages, and I also want to include more stuff that would involve knights and armor. (My planning is still sort of loose, as you can tell!)

    Anyhow, I'd love to hear some of your success stories with these sorts of projects, and I'm wide open to suggestions!

    Thanks :-)

    Sharon
    EMAIL: artrageous
    AIM: SKBK56, ArtrageousSBK, & others