Re: Computer graphics

From: GTBlack
Date: Sat Jul 29 2000 - 20:44:32 PDT

    I did a semester's worth of tutorials for Photoshop 4.... detailed stuff,
    step by step, including screen shots..... then version 5 came out, then 5.5.
    I tried using the tutorials from version 4 but the students said they were
    worthless. Ouch. I learned my lesson. Adobe is on an 18 month development
    cycle for new versions of PS. I would be spending forever rewriting
    tutorials and doing new screen shots if I tried to keep up with them.

    I use the tutorials that come in the goodies folder of the application, which
    are basically half of Adobe's Classroom in a Book lessons. They explain
    enough about the technical aspects of the program. Its what the colleges and
    professionals use, so I think it is good enough for high school students. I
    think the book is totally appropriate for their age and grade level.

    Once they understand the tools I turn them loose on more open-ended projects
    like designing postcards and cd covers. The other thing I learned from the
    tutorials is that you can assign too many. The students come to rely on them
    and don't do enough creative problem solving. That's why I use them just
    enough to teach them the tools.

    gb

    ---