Re: first days

From: Maggie White (mwhiteaz)
Date: Sat Jul 29 2000 - 18:35:52 PDT

    jeryl Hollingsworth wrote:

    > I have a drawing lesson on the first day with upper elementary kids. I
    > have used Oreos cookies or pretzels (the twisted like a heart kind) but
    > the idea is basically the same. I have them fold a paper in half and ask
    > them to draw an oreo on one side of the paper. I give them a few
    > minutes and while they are working I jot down the comments I hear .
    > Then I pass out a cookie to each kid (warn them not to eat it) Then they
    > are to draw the oreo again on the other half of the page. This drawing
    > usually takes much longer. Then we spend some time comparing the two
    > drawings and they tell which one is better and why. It leads into a
    > great discussion of drawing what you see, details make things more
    > interesting,etc...

    I do this the first day with my HS drawing and 2D students, only they
    draw a horse (of which there are lots around here). The first is done
    from memory, then I show them a transparency of a photo of a horse. I
    show them how to measure proportions and gauge angles with their pencils
    (holding them up, with one eye closed, like "real" artists), then we
    compare the proportions and details of their horses with the photo of
    the real thing. Then they draw the horse again, this time using their
    new skills. I always explain that if you can't have the real thing in
    front of you, a photo, not another artist's drawing, is the next best
    thing.

    Maggie

    ---