first days

From: jeryl Hollingsworth (holl5)
Date: Sat Jul 29 2000 - 16:09:22 PDT

    I have a drawing lesson on the first day with upper elementary kids. I
    have used Oreos cookies or pretzels (the twisted like a heart kind) but
    the idea is basically the same. I have them fold a paper in half and ask
    them to draw an oreo on one side of the paper. I give them a few
    minutes and while they are working I jot down the comments I hear .
    Then I pass out a cookie to each kid (warn them not to eat it) Then they
    are to draw the oreo again on the other half of the page. This drawing
    usually takes much longer. Then we spend some time comparing the two
    drawings and they tell which one is better and why. It leads into a
    great discussion of drawing what you see, details make things more
    interesting,etc...of course at the end they get to eat the cookie. When
    I do the pretzel we also talk about what they could turn the pretzel
    drawing into-swimming pool, glasses, space ship etc...

    Jeryl in SC

    ---