Re: First week of school

From: Tmcnorf
Date: Sat Jul 29 2000 - 12:24:00 PDT

    In a message dated 7/29/00 12:19:10 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
    CastinPhan writes:

    << What are some of the jump-start activities that you use in the art
    classroom
     to get to know your students, get them to know each other, and the art room
     itself? Any little activities and tidbits will be appreciated.
     Thanks >>

    in sixth grade, my classes study different artists with extensive research
    and projects to share with everyone in the class. i made up cards (3x5) in
    two shades of yellow. on one color card is the artist's name (mary cassatt)
    and the other is the description of the artist work (a female impressionist
    painter whose paintings often included family themes )
    i hand out the cards to each student in my 7th grade class on the first or
    second day of school. the game is to get up and go around the room looking at
    everyone's cards and find your match without ANY CONVERSATION. they know
    their match is a different shade of yellow than theirs and often i give the
    out one shade to boys, and one to girls so it is easier for them. the "pair"
    write their name on the board and find a seat together. this is often a good
    way to make a "random" seating chart. random in quotes because i
    occasionally manipulate who get what cards! we check all answers when
    everyone is seated. change seats accordingly and matches get prizes. good
    review, good fun.

    ---