Burlap and twisted vine....

From: Bunki Kramer (bkramer.us)
Date: Sat Jul 29 2000 - 09:59:27 PDT

    from: Bunki Kramer (bkramer.us)
    Los Cerros Middle School
    968 Blemer Road
    Danville, CA 94526
    ************************
    >Burlap?.....
    >I teach grade 7 and 8. (Another thing I have a lot of - and can't
    > immediately think of a use for - is a sort of really thin bamboo which is
    > twisted into a spiral; it might actually be some sort of dried vine)> Laura
    ***********************

    I was just in San Francisco the other day for Dr.s appt. and went shopping
    at Gheridelli (sp?) Square afterwards. I saw some fabulous masks done in
    metal or something similar (couldn't tell as they were high up on the wall)
    but was fascinated with how the artist had incorporated spiral vines for
    decoration. These vines were added after the masks were completed and parts
    (like 2" at a time) of the vines were wrapped in diff. metallic colored wire
    with added beads. You could even make masks out of your burlap with a
    mixture of Elmer's glue & water and draped over a face form (like someone
    else suggested) and then add your vines.

    Another idea...if the vines are thick enough...is to lay out five or six
    side-by-side and weave them together in the middle with a long piece of
    pipecleaner. Now they are pretty much attached to each other and you can
    weave strips of material or yarn to make a beautiful stick weaving. I've
    done this with middle school students during summer using regular sticks off
    the ground outside the classroom. You can add pine needles and pieces of
    bark, beads, wheat stalks, pine cones, etc. Toodles.........

    ---