Re: Software

From: Batmom44
Date: Sat Jul 29 2000 - 08:08:59 PDT

    In a message dated 7/28/00 6:03:12 PM Eastern Daylight Time, MarshArt
    writes:

    << In a message dated 7/28/00 5:33:58 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
    Batmom44
     writes:

    > 1. How important is it to use technology in the art classrooms? >>
    First of all, I did not propose the question. Second, in my answer to the
    question, which I posted privately to the person who did propose the
    question, I stated approximately the following:
    1. The computer is merely another tool to be introduced into the art
    classroom along with paint brushes, etc.
    2. Students should be given the opportunity to learn how to use as many tools
    as possible while they are in school.
    3. There should be no reservations on the learning allowed students.
    That is what I call maintaining the balance!

    The "art" you describe being done in "not your classroom" is not ART. If the
    student or artist is starting with clip art or someone else's image, the
    student is merely manipulating the other person's image. That is called
    playing with the special effects. It is not called ART. I have had many
    young students come to me saying, "Oh, yeah, I can do that program." To which
    I usually say, "Yes, but do you know how to use that program?" Usually they
    are able to do no more than what you describe. PLAY. They don't really even
    know how to use the program. They just know that if they click the airbrush
    button, it sprays paint. Actually using that tool is something vastly
    different. My computer animation students are required to take Art I first.
    They also have to keep a color wheel in their portfolio, learn to write
    scripts, make storyboards, do figure studies every day, etc.
    To create ART with the computer one must know as much about the design
    principles, color theory, etc., as any other artist. The computer does only
    what the artist commands it to do. What you describe is not what real
    computer artists do. They would be appalled to know that someone thinks that
    they don't have to know anything about design principles or traditional
    media. Or that the computer does it for them. I have several students who
    have just finished art school. Whether they were there for computer graphics
    or videography, they had to take all the traditional art courses as well as
    the technology courses. That is called formal art education.

    Just because one introduces the computer into the art classroom does not mean
    that the paintbrushes are going to be thrown out. That kind of logic would
    mean that when the camera was introduced no one taught drawing or painting
    any more. And, incidentally, when the camera was introduced REAL ARTISTS
    were some of the first to make use of it. They took pictures of landscapes
    for use in their studios, models for paintings, etc.

    Oh I am a professional artist. I use a ruler to draw a straight line. Ancient
    technology, but technology none the less.
    Reatha

    ---